I had a happy dance earlier this week! After too many months languishing, almost finished, Bluebeard's Princess is now finished!!!
The design is from Mirabilia and I stitched her on a solo piece of hand dyed 28 count Quaker Cloth from Silkweaver. I made a few changes. I'm not a fan of Mirabilia's recent habit of backstitching skin with dark browns and greys, so I used DMC 632. And, um, there's a little mistake in the crown. But it's lovely nonetheless and I couldn't be happier. I wasn't originally crazy about her face on the pattern cover. I may or may not have nicknamed her Miss Piggy. But I love her face now. Maybe it was the softer colour for the backstitching. And the seahorses at the bottom are both really cute.
But lest you think that I spent all week playing around with my laptop and wanting to throw my laptop out the door into a snowbank, I have also been busy working on the Beaded Dragonfly Tile by Chatelaine.
My bead pack FINALLY arrived earlier this week from European Cross-Stitch and I dove right in. I'm hoping that by not having to do all of the beading at once, it won't seem so bad. But it took me a good part of the day yesterday just to do the beading in the centre. Apparently I'm not that fast a beader, especially when I'm using 11 different colours of tiny Delica beads. The effect is stunning, but... At this point, I'd rather backstitch and I hate backstitching.
But what makes it all worth it is the middle border. I love the smaller lotuses, with the reed grasses and tiny dragonflies. There is a bit of backstitching still to do around the lotuses and leaves, but I smile every time I look at this part. The eyes and backstitching were supposed to be black, but as they wouldn't really have shown well on my black fabric, I switched to gold, which is used in the tail. I love the blingy effect it gives my dragonflies.
Time to get back to it, after a bit of new follower blog reading :)