Friday, February 1, 2013

Bluebeard's Princess is finished!

My laptop and I have been fighting all week.  Apparently, it didn't like the new Flash Player version.  Long story short, I'm probably never, ever getting back together with Internet Explorer, but everything now works and I can finally see my new, longer followers list.  Welcome!  I see lots of new faces and I look forward to getting to know you all better through your blogs and comments.  And thank you to Jo of Serendipitous Stitching who's sent some of you my way.

I had a happy dance earlier this week!  After too many months languishing, almost finished, Bluebeard's Princess is now finished!!!


The design is from Mirabilia and I stitched her on a solo piece of hand dyed 28 count Quaker Cloth from Silkweaver.  I made a few changes.  I'm not a fan of Mirabilia's recent habit of backstitching skin with dark browns and greys, so I used DMC 632.  And, um, there's a little mistake in the crown.  But it's lovely nonetheless and I couldn't be happier.  I wasn't originally crazy about her face on the pattern cover.  I may or may not have nicknamed her Miss Piggy.  But I love her face now.  Maybe it was the softer colour for the backstitching.  And the seahorses at the bottom are both really cute.  



But lest you think that I spent all week playing around with my laptop and wanting to throw my laptop out the door into a snowbank, I have also been busy working on the Beaded Dragonfly Tile by Chatelaine.  

My bead pack FINALLY arrived earlier this week from European Cross-Stitch and I dove right in.  I'm hoping that by not having to do all of the beading at once, it won't seem so bad.  But it took me a good part of the day yesterday just to do the beading in the centre.  Apparently I'm not that fast a beader, especially when I'm using 11 different colours of tiny Delica beads.  The effect is stunning, but...   At this point, I'd rather backstitch and I hate backstitching.  



But what makes it all worth it is the middle border.  I love the smaller lotuses, with the reed grasses and tiny dragonflies.  There is a bit of backstitching still to do around the lotuses and leaves, but I smile every time I look at this part.  The eyes and backstitching were supposed to be black, but as they wouldn't really have shown well on my black fabric, I switched to gold, which is used in the tail.  I love the blingy effect it gives my dragonflies.  


Time to get back to it, after a bit of new follower blog reading :)

Julie

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitching..I love them so much..
    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely fantastic! The seahorse and green-blue mermaid's tail are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elena! Glad to see you here again :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Stitching!
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I like the backstitch color you chose. Definitely improves her face.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's such a small thing, but I like her so much now and have stopped thinking of her as Miss Piggy :)

      Delete
  5. Ms Piggy is looking great hehe. Love the nickname but she is one beautiful piece :) I'd be very proud to have stitched her if I were you! JUST BEAUTIFUL. Congrats on the finish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a beautiful finish. And there are no mistakes in stitching, just artistic differences with the designer. Your Chat looks great, looking forward to watching your progress on this one. The beads can be fiddly but are soooo worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll have to remember that, Susan. It's a great way to think about it.

      Delete
  7. Your finish is beautiful! And you WIP is pretty fantastic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning stitching, Julie, really gorgeous. I am a new follower sent across from Jo's blog (she says hi).

    hugs, Kaye

    http://kittenstitching.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Kaye and welcome! I love the photo of Furio and Milo at the top of your blog, they're so cute.

      Delete
  9. I really really love the seahorses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they really are one of the cutest parts of the pattern and the colours are ones you wouldn't think would go together, but they do!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful design to stitch. She looks gorgeous. Well done on your finish.
    Just found your blog after finding Karen's blog via Chic Crafting. Don't you just love how this blogging round the world stuff works :)
    Look forward to keeping up with more of your lovely stitching
    Fireflies & Cats in the Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noni, and welcome to my blog! And I love this blogging round, it's so much fun "meeting" new people and making even more discoveries. I hope you'll enjoy my blog!

      P.S. I love the little Kokeshi you stitched for Nia and those pins especially. It's absolutely adorable!

      Delete
  11. Well done! I love the seahorses, they look so cute & colourfull :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Congratulations on your Happy Dance! And the dragonfly tile is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the mermaid! The little dragons really caught my eye. And the gold was a good choice in the dragonflies in the lotus border. Your work is lovely and I appreciate the time you spent on it.

    ReplyDelete